Wednesday 4 December 2013

What's-Off-My-Bookshelf-Wednesday


At the start of the year I decided to try and read more books this year.  And I think I have managed quite successfully!  The late summer/autumn pile of books is sitting by the front dor awaiting a decision on what to do with them, and here it is...



I think when I last blogged about fiction, I was predicting more weeping (after 'Daughters of Mars' and 'Me Before You') with 'This Is How It Ends'.  And so it turned out!  I quite liked the book, though I remember feeling, as tear-jerkers go, that it wasn't as good as 'Me Before You'.  Both had the same level of 'I-know-what's-going-to-happen' but I warmed more to the characters in Jojo Moyes's story.

That leaves another nine books to write about, which seems like a tall order, especially as I am trying to make blogging achievable again by spending no more than an hour at the keyboard .  So I will simply rank them, in reverse order, with a tiny bit about them.

9.  The Great Gatsby - I read this because I always felt I had missed out by not reading it when all my friends were doing it for A level way-back-when, and because Miss U-t-B was raving about the film and I felt I should know what it was all about.  



I was charmed by the Barbier front cover, but not, alas, by the tale...Oops!  What a philistine!


8.The Glassblower of Murano - I began reading this many months ago, wanting to escape to Venice in my imagination, but soon gave up, so had to start all over again.  I still found it a bit of a chore but persevered as I had nothing else to read at the time!  Rather predictable, I thought. And it didn't make up for the fact that I have never been to Venice!

7.Tigers in Red Weather - Loved the front cover, disappointed by the tale. Dysfunctional, privileged family with a bit of 'whodunnit' thrown in, if I remember rightly. Which I may not...



6. The Moment - Based on the premise that one moment can change your life I found this one a very strange mix of tedious and page-turning. 

5. State of the Union - I have had this on my bookshelf for years and finally got round to reading it.  I found it slow to get into, but once it had hooked me it was a real page-turner.  

4.Instructions for a Heatwave - Another that took a while to get into, but once I did I really enjoyed it. Another story of a retired man who goes missing (I've done three of those this year!), I found the characters quite realistic.

3.In Her Shadow - A psychological drama, I found this gripping, even if rather unbelievable in the end.

2.Heartbreak Hotel - written by the author of 'Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' this was light and fluffy, but fun !




1.Wonder - A children's book, this is meant to be, but it was recommended to me by the lady in our local Waterstones.   The Observer described it as 'Incredibly charming, brutal and brilliant' and I would agree!  One of my top three of the nearly completed year!










6 comments:

  1. I love your book reviews!

    I, too, managed to miss reading The Great Gatsby when the rest of the world read it and I still don't know if I'll bother. I've had State of the Union on my bookshelf for EVER but never seem to be in the right mood for it. I haven't read the others here, but think I'll be looking out for Wonder, based on your judgement.

    I'm reading, and thoroughly enjoying, The Somnabulist by Essie Fox. It's not challenging my brain in any way but that's all I can cope with right now!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like to like the characters, then don't bother with The Great Gatsby, would be my (humble) advice! I would buy 'The Somnambulist' based on the fact that I have always loved that word and it has a great front cover (often the reason for my choices, shallow as I am!) Happy reading!
      x

      Delete
  2. I like your reviews too! Over at my blog I have been reading up books that I bought over the years but never got around to reading. I have quite a stack of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I too have been trying to read all the books I have had backed up - I'm managing quite nicely, but it is hard to go back to the ones I started and which didn't grip me, but I still didn't get rid of!
      x

      Delete
  3. I'm with you on The Great Gatsby, well written yes, but I disliked everybody in the book, I found them all despicable. Liked the movie more than I thought I would, absolutely beautifully photographed, didn't like DiCaprio as Gatsby though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I'm not the only one! That's exactly the reason too. Will see the film when someone gets the DVD for Christmas!
      x

      Delete