Monday 2 April 2012

Bursting Forth

It's hard not to get a bit over-excited whenever you go outside these days.

It's all happening!

I have been especially pleased to see the clematis, 'New Dawn' rose and honeysuckle bursting forth, as I was so worried we might have killed them last autumn, hacking them down in order to build the new shed.


But they have survived, and will now be trained and kept under control, so as not to incur the wrath of Mr U-t-B who is not keen on rampant vegetation!


I'm not sure if the vine has made it though, but time will tell - it's always late to show signs of life.

The bluebells (naughty Spanish ones I believe - they're being dug up once they're over!) were flowering in March alongside the daffodils and bergenia.  I like this photo for the shadows as much as the actual flowers!



Don't know what this is  but it's about to be smothered in flowers.


The aubretia, in various shades is already smothered...


And just peeping out shyly are a few violets.  Hello to anyone new who has come here from the lovely Jooles at 'Sew Sweet Violet'!



Another shy bloom is this one.  I have now idea what it is, but it was hiding beneath some grassy clumps, and would so easily have not been noticed.  Anyone know what it is?




11 comments:

  1. How lovely, we have absolutely no plants in our garden, it's a sad state of affairs, it needs to be done from scratch & I just can't afford it yet. I look on at yours in envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only reveal the small bits that look picturesque - most of it is still rather a work in progress!

      Delete
  2. lovely flowers! I cleared my pots of all the grass and weeds and am waiting to see what has survived the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Alix...I have just found you from Jooles lovely blog...Your work is so lovely!
    Susan x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your garden is looking beautiful. We have no colour at all in ours as yet, although our Clematis is covered in buds ... M x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Alex - I agree that photo with the shadows is lovely - it would make a nice birthday card image, and the flower you are not sure about is pink phlox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosemary - I knew someone out there would be able to help me!

      Delete
  6. Your flowers are beautiful, I'd love to have a garden of nothing but lavender and white flowers.
    I have Spanish Bluebells, are we supposed to dig them up after they bloom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they don't need to be dug up! I'm just doing so because they are so invasive and have nearly taken over the small front garden (and I'd like to just have our native bluebells too)!

      Delete
    2. Dear Alex - I can't see your bluebells really well, but to me they look like English ones. They are pale blue like the Spanish ones, but English ones can come in all colours. Spanish bluebells have a rigid straight stem, English ones bend at the top, like yours appear to. Spanish ones have no fragrance, English ones do. Do give them a sniff before pulling them out.!!!

      Delete