Wednesday 2 March 2011

Any time for new hobbies?

Recently,  my Mum spotted an interesting book at a sale she was helping at in her village.  Needless to say, she thought of me! Thanks!

Here it is...


 I can't really crochet.  It is definitely on my wish list of skills I'd like to have.  I have even been saving a pattern for a beautiful filet crochet bedcover from a Prima magazine for over twenty years, in the hope that one day I will learn!



'The Craft of the Crochet Hook' book was first published in 1912.  I can imagine Milly-Molly-Mandy  (whose crochet prowess I have written about before) learning her crochet from a book like this!

Flora Klickmann was editor of 'The Girl's Own and woman's Magazine' and this book is presumably a complilation of patterns and instructions from the magazines.


What an elegant portrait!

The book has great adverts...






And of course instructions...


And patterns...



Maybe one quiet day (the very idea!) I'll see if I can teach myself using this little book!


Today is Mr Used-to-Bees birthday!
We treated him to a Kindle.  
He's planning on downloading the Millennium Trilogy by Stieg  Larsson. 
So we won't be seeing much of him in the evenings over the next few weeks, if my experience is anything to go by!



Off to work now, and later, sadly, a funeral.  Maybe tomorrow I'll have time to show some of the stripped spindles, and to tell you what they are for (as a couple of you asked)...

4 comments:

  1. What a treasure of a book. Lovely. I can crochet barely. I once went to a night school class to learn how to do it with more skill:( Turns out that for years I was crocheting left handed and I'm right handed. My mum who originally taught me was left handed. Who knew...it explains a lot:) Needless to say I'm still crochet impaired.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous book. I've recently learnt to crochet but I can only crochet a granny square, not able to do anything else as yet! If I can muster it, I'm sure anyone can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely old book - great illustrations! Happy Birthday, Mr U-to-B!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a find ! A blogger friend sent me a beginners' crochet book & I bought the thread and hook and... can't do it !
    By the way, I bought some more photo to fabric printing paper & had some sucess with some old family photos.
    Enjoy lovely Guy & his boat...sigh.

    ReplyDelete