Wednesday 23 February 2011

Happy Days

Yesterday we had a great time on the slopes of the Portes de Soleil.  Granted, it didn't quite live up to its name on the sun front, but as the resort is a little lacking in terms of snow at the moment, the soft but steady snowfall was welcome.

I managed to borrow a decent pair of skis (very handy having a friend who owns a ski-hire shop), as Mr U-t-B (who does know about these things) has been trying to convince me that my own are doing me no favours.  Believing that a bad workman blames his tools, I was sure no change of skis would make a difference to my skiing.  But amazingly, I had my best day skiing ever!  The steep bits, icy patches and moguls that normally turn me into a gibbering wreck failed to daunt me today -  so time to start saving for a new pair of planks to attach to my legs!  

Being only the two of us on this little jaunt, we stopped in three different places for refreshments during the course of the day.  First was a tiny little place where we sat under the gaze of this haughty beast...


...drinking from these rather retro cups...


Lunch was had elsewhere, but once again a stuffed goat featured...


...though there was also this amazing bark sculpture...


Later on, we stopped for a white vin chaud (a new experience for me) and sat beside this gorgeous stove...


After returning from skiing there was a spot of shopping to be done.  But our choices seem to have been dictated more by the packaging than the contents.  So over the next few days we will be eating, it seems...


tuna...


tuna...

...then for a little variety...


...sardines...


...sprinkled with a little salt...


...and washed down with our choice from 'Piste Noire' beer or lemonade from a lovely flip-top bottle!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds wonderful! That bark sculpture is fantastic!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love looking at the packaging while on holiday !
    What is it with the goast' heads? We had a horrid moth eaten deer head in our garage when I was a kid. Our dog used to look at it then go out of the door and look at the wall...looking for the rest of the poor thing. It was hilarious to watch( I have NO idea where it came from - probably a jumble sale )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great bark face! Yes, I'm always tempted by food packaging when away, but we're vegetarian, so don't usually buy! Although, somewhere in the cupboard is an ancient Greek tin of stuffed vine leaves!

    ReplyDelete