Wednesday 5 January 2011

Holiday Highlights Part Two

Luckily, Mr U-t-B's back was much better after sleeping through the Charades, Scrabble and midnight celebrations (was this just a ploy?) so when another day of clear blue skies dawned, he was raring to get out on the slopes.  Saturday is often the best day to ski, as it is 'changeover' day, with lots of   people leaving or arriving in the resort and consequently emptier pistes.


 I was rather glad to have a new recruit to all this skiing lark with us, as it gave me the chance to enjoy lots of blue runs, which often seem to be the prettiest, but also have the advantage that they allow me to look a little more like I know what I am doing than the moguls, reds and (eek!) blacks favoured by Mr and Miss U-t-B!

All the same, I did manage to do a passable impression of Bridget Jones on two occasions - my knee and my derriere are still reminding me as much.  Quite how I managed to fall off that lift is a mystery to me...

After a while we left the young love-birds to enjoy the slopes alone, and headed off to one of our favourite places for a warm drink.  

Mr Used-to-Bees loves the stove...


Miss Used-to-Bees loves the hot chocolate.

And I love the decor!

All kinds of interesting old bits and pieces dangling from the ceiling...


sitting on shelves...


and perched on ledges.


There's even a vintage Peugeot bike that is, I'm pretty sure, the blokey version of the ladies' one I bought at a vide-grenier the year before last...


Here's mine...


with its lovely details...




and original saddle...


Beautiful!

That afternoon I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms, not having done any stitching since before Christmas.  So I stayed in the apartment and did a bit of embroidering instead of risking any more Bridget Jones moments.  I've got a trio of orders from Folksy (finally!), all for cottage matchbox cosies, so had fun perfecting a newly learnt stitch.  As I can't find the lead for the camera right now (been put somewhere 'safe' no doubt) I will have to share the results of my labours later this week.


Sunday was an even quieter day than Saturday - the perfect ending to our holiday.  The 'Portes du Soleil' region was continuing to live up to its reputation, with most slopes basking in sunshine...



...though the lowest slopes, and poor old Morzine, were shrouded in freezing fog...


Hence this on the new recruit's hair...




We had a picnic lunch together, beside the piste, then Mr U-t-B and I left the three youngsters to their fun (jumps, log slides etc) and headed off for a quick blast.  I always finish early on the last day - something inside my head tells me to quit whilst I'm ahead and haven't broken anything!  A bit more stitching seemed a safer bet...


So that was our holiday!  I certainly had a great time, and I think everyone else did too!  The weather was especially kind to us, we ate well, got plenty of fresh air (and a little exercise!), blew the cobwebs out of our heads and relaxed.  The perfect way to end one year, and begin the next!



2 comments:

  1. oh my goodness that looks idyllic - my son dreams of a holiday like that but as hubby is a yachty we get the opportunity to join him in sunny climes after he has deliveder a boat ( only every few years ) so the sun wins over the snow.
    So glad you stumbled by my blog... I have quite a few pt time teacher bloggie mates ...must be something to do with every other generation on my maternal line being a teacher - I'm not so guess my daughter will have to keep the tradition going ! ( she won't ! )

    Lovely to meet you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply lovely!
    So glad you enjoyed yourselves...can't wait to see that stitching!
    x

    ReplyDelete